Monday 17 August 2009

Asian Invasion!

According to the latest article from Times Online the monopoly market of White catwalk models may be ending their reign with the up rise and demand for the Asian models. With likes of the Japanese model Tao Okamoto, for Moschino, Marc Jacobs and D&G, and Chinese model Liu Wen, for Chanel, Dries Van Noten and Louis Vuitton holding their firm place on the catwalk scene.

Tao Okamoto at D&G
Liu Wen at Chanel


I am personally very keen for the increase exposure especially on Oriental models in the supermodel scene, mainly as I do feel some races are rather under represented in certain areas of media and fashion. Like I have yet to see a 'Oriental' family in Eastenders (I am very sad as I do admit I watch it occasionally. Shame on me!) yet they have the obligatory 'Black' and 'Indian' family. Where is my orients BBC?!? Under represented I say! Maybe the Times was getting a point, that many Oriental individuals tend not to go into Media industry mainly of the heavy influence of families wanting to see their children go into 'real' white collar profession then strutting their stuff on the catwalk. I should know, considering my father has always shunned me studying Art at Secondary School and even now thinks I should give fashion a quit and start a real 'hobby'.

So come on you media folks, I want to see more Orients on my TV! Less of the Jackie Chan in stereotypical Chinese role, where our English is very broken and all we seem to do is eat noodles or serve very very bad Chinese takeaways. No more I say! ASIAN INVASION HERE WE COME!

(photos thanks to Style.com)

1 comment:

  1. Prawn Cracker Lover17 August 2009 at 17:34

    My Chinese neighbours had been away for a few days and she got back the day they take the bins out. Now she always without fail puts her bin out for collection as I'm leaving for work at 7.30 and we have a chat.

    Today she was there but no bin so I said to her

    where's your Bin?

    She said 'I bin Hong Kong'

    Thinking there was a language barrier I said

    'No where's you wheely bin'

    To which she replied

    'I wheely Bin Hong Kong'

    Getting a little frustrated now I said to her slowly and carefully

    'No where is your dustbin'

    At this point she looked at me really [beep!] off and said

    'I already told you twice I dustbin Hong Kong'

    ReplyDelete